“Science Applications International Corp. ” a premier technology integrator, today announced that it has entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Unisys Federal, in an all-cash transaction valued at $1.2 billion ($1.025 billion net of the present value of tax assets of approximately $175 million), in a highly strategic and value creating transaction. This represents a transaction multiple of approximately 10.5x CY2020 adjusted EBITDA, adjusted for the net present value of tax assets.”
“Unisys Federal, an operating unit of Unisys (NYSE: UIS), is a leading provider of infrastructure modernization, cloud migration, managed services, and enterprise IT-as-a-service through scalable and repeatable solutions to U.S. federal civilian agencies and the Department of Defense.”
“With the addition of Unisys Federal, SAIC will be a leading provider of digitial transformation services and solutions to the federal government. This exciting opportunity advances our strategy by building on our modernization capabilities, increasing customer access, accelerating growth and enhancing shareholder value,” said SAIC CEO Nazzic Keene.”
“The transaction will further differentiate SAIC in the government services market by deploying technology-enabled, intellectual property-based solutions through a commercial–like service delivery model. The acquisition will further enhance shareholder value through a highly attractive financial profile, enabled through greater customer access and differentiated solutions in areas of higher growth profiles.”
“Strategic and Financial Benefits
- Enhances capabilities in government priority areas, including IT modernization, cloud migration, managed services, and development, security, and operations (DevSecOpps)
- Expands portfolio of intellectual property (IP) and technology-driven offerings, that enable government-tailored, commercial-based solutions
- Increases access to current and new customers with a strong pipeline of new business opportunities”
Source: SAIC to Acquire Unisys Federal in Accretive, Strategic and Value Creating Transaction, February 6, 2020. SAIC.
G2X TAKE: Outside of a few key wins, such as one strategic $25M Cloud Advisory Services contract they added at VA 2018 and another to support HHS OIG, Unisys has not been an overly significant player in the Federal Health market compared to the significant role they play across broader FedCiv and DoD, but those who know Diana Ceban, Kevin, Carlton and the rest of the SAIC Growth and Operations team are keenly aware that they will be looking to take advantage of the additional past performance, capabilities, and the broad set of Prime Unisys contract vehicles (see list here) that come along with acquiring such a significant Federal player across DoD and FedCiv.
- SAIC clearly has its sights set on growth. This is just the latest in a string of strategic actions for this group, to include the $2.5B acquisition of CIO-SP3, OASIS, and Alliant 2 Prime, Engility, a longtime partner to numerous Federal Health agencies this time last year; a strategic partnership signed with Franklin Venture Partners last year to broaden its access and exposure to emerging technologies developed by startup companies across the United States; and the recent news that they are partnering with AI Provider Espressive to Bring Next Generation IT User Experience to Government Customers.
- SAIC was recently named one of the NXT UP firms poised to make big waves in the Federal sector in 2020 and for years to come.